ALBANY — Imagine. John Lennon’s killer has been denied parole for a ninth time.
Mark David Chapman met with a three-member parole panel during the week and was later informed he will be kept behind bars at least another two years, when he will be next eligible for parole, a state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision official told the Daily News.
The official did not know the reasoning behind the decision.
But in the past, the Parole Board — even while citing Chapman’s clean prison record since 1994 — has routinely said that releasing him would “undermine respect for the law.”
A lawyer and spokesman for Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, did not return calls for comment Saturday.
Chapman, 61, shot Lennon on Dec. 8, 1980, as the famed ex-Beatle and Ono returned to their Dakota building home across from Central Park after a late night recording session.
Sentenced to 20 years to life in prison, Chapman currently resides at upstate Wende Correctional Facility.
The News recently reported that since his last parole hearing in 2014, five people sent letters to the Parole Board seeking his release. There were also two letters during that time in opposition to granting Chapman parole.
One of those letters opposing parole came from Ono, her lawyer, Jonas Herbsman, had previously confirmed.
Herbsman said the new letter reaffirmed previous correspondences to the board made public that expressed fears for the safety of herself and Lennon’s two sons — Sean and Julian — if Chapman is released.
Ono’s past letters also expressed concern that Chapman himself could face danger from one of the slain Beatle’s fans seeking revenge.